Saturday, January 21

It's what my momma taught me ~ too....

. . .this book ~ [In Defense of Food] reinforces all the things I have been taught for my whole life.  Government Studies are often NOT what they claim to be ~ better informed than our common sense... Fad diets are really not healthy... A balanced plan of fruits and vegetables in season, meats [and that goes for all meats] in moderation, whole grains, instead of refined starches. That fats are NOT the monster we have been lectured they are, and while we only need them in moderation, we do need them.  Butter is WAY better than margarine ever thought of being ~ that olive oil is so much better than "vegetable" oil pretends to be as well ~ and stay away from processed sugars and prepackaged foods!  White sugar  truly is not good for us.  Our ancestors ate very little sugar, and they cooked from scratch. 

I KNOW these things and I am trying to eat this way.  In the last couple months I have done really well, actually.  I didn't even gain any weight on vacation...  BUT, as this book points out ~ historically, eating food was also a social and cultural event ~ but we have turned it into something negative and guilt ridden.  But in reading about the cultural positives of foods, I am now noticing that I do way better about not overeating when I don't eat alone... I notice I am statistically better able to combat binge eating when I write down what I consume each day... both the good and the bad ~  and I know that if I want something that isn't as healthy I can have it, as long as I don't make a habit out of it.  Finally, I am reminded that consistancy is it's own reward.

I am VERY happy I decided to read this book.  It's been on my list for over a year. My doctor mentioned it so long ago I can't remember when it was... But, in my quest for answers and help in my renewed effort at strengthening my body I finally got around to borrowing it from my library, in kindle format.  Because I have my tablet with me everywhere, I read on the go sometimes ~ and I've been sharing with hubby.  It's become a valuable asset in my efforts and desires to get stronger! It's given me encouragement to stay on track, and reminded me that one day of backtracking isn't the end of the world...

Food is important, we need to eat ~ but like my momma taught me eating food that is not over processed is even MORE important.  I find myself very angry that nutritionism is still so rampant in this country, though more people each year I know are taking back "control" of their own food lives.  "We" [in this house] are enjoying food more than ever, lately ~ since we started to eat more whole grains and raw/lightly cooked veggies. We are more satisfied too... still we are eating all foods we like, [even Mexican food].  In some cases we have rethought how to make our favorite dishes more healthy by trading some of the meat, most of the highly processed ingredients for whole grains, and adding a higher percentages of veggies.

Finally I would like to mention, our grocery bill has actually gone down since we started eating this way...  ;-)

No comments: