Tuesday, July 1

And when my joy is full... then what?

It's taken me 2 months to write this blog entry because I feel fairly emotional about the subject... In early May, Son2 the youngest member of our family officially became an adult... His senior pictures were enough of a wake-up call to me that he was grown up... Still as is bound to happen... in early June, this young man, (my baby boy...) graduated from High School. There was not much fanfare as that is the way he wanted it... but I wanted to express my personal joy over his accomplishments. Of all my children, he received the most worldly accolades and honors as a graduate. His scholarships alone will see him through a tremendous first year of college, and beyond... he is a dedicated hardworking young man that I am very proud to call my son... in the most pure of motherly emotions.

This event brought the family together and his sister's personal "congratulations" tells the story that we all tell... Way to GO!!!

Son2 has grown into a sensitive young man with the heart and soul of an Artist. He sees the world and people of all walks of life though a personal lens that is foreign to me... He is talented in ways that I can only dream of. He is thoughtful in ways that I will miss GREATLY when he is far from home someday. He is tall, handsome, and happy, he is playful and kind... He is a wonderful child, brother and friend, and I am amazed that my Heavenly Father trusted him (and his siblings) to my care as a mother.

These events bring to my remembrance that we (hubby and I) will soon be empty-nesters... That eventuality is less than a year away... Already because of how busy Son2 is our home is empty a lot more than it is noisy, as in years past. So what do I say now...??? That... I am happy to have them all grown... I am ready to have a grown-up family. It's the way I expected it to be...???

To some extent all three comments ARE very true but in a deeper, stranger, more motherly way none of them is at all true. It is a dichotomy that I doubt I will get used to, as least not quickly. I am happy to say that my children, (all of them,) are adults that I “like”. Not all of my friends can say that about their adult children, so I think that is a good thing... They are all people that are responsible (for themselves and others...) Another thing many of my friends can't say about their adult children so I am especially happy to be able to say that. They are all adult people with a testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and faith in the Atonement. That is probably the one that means the most to me.

I know that they are not perfect, but then they are very aware that I am not perfect either. (Boy are they aware of THAT!!! he he...) They will all make more mistakes in life as they work towards their own personal and family goals, that is to be expected and is normal... I certainly haven't stopped making my own mistakes, so it's only fair to allow them to make a fair number of their own, and I wouldn't dream of ridiculing them for those mistakes...

But you know... so far none of my kids has made some of the very STUPID mistakes I made as a young adult... and they are all a lot quicker to fix the ones they do make, than I was too... That is something I am please about... for them... I believe that one character strength will make the future a bit easier for them.

Being a mother is not always easy, but my kids have sure made it worth every minute of lost sleep, every monumental worry and heartache... They are the JOY in my heart and the SONG in my soul... So how can I be sad that they will all now go out and start their own lives, homes, families??? I can't... Besides looking forward to the someday of grandchildren, I could not possibly want to keep from them the joys and difficulties being tied to a good spouse for hopefully the eternities and of parenting... And then... letting go...

I think I understand a little bit what our Heavenly Parents must feel...

No comments: