Saturday, April 11

one of the things...

...that is very good about today's economy is that more and more people are looking to make do with what they have, pass on what they don't need to others that are in need and fix things up that they find available... because suddenly no one had as much "disposable income"... It has been my personal experience over the last 25 years or more to refinish furniture and fix things up or make do... I really like doing it... and I think there is more than just one reason to come to the reality of: "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"... Something most of our parents or grandparents knew very well... I find it interesting the number of forums, blogs and articles you can look at if you do a search.

The truth is that that people are learning in droves, that there is real and lasting satisfaction and joy in being truly creative and frugal with what you already have. I really have enjoyed watching and reading about a whole new generation (one that really didn't seem to be willing to learn some of these lessons on their own...) live more frugally... The waste in our society, and especially young adults has been out of control, for a long time... to me the "entitled attitude" I have been seeing in so many youth and young adults that live today is not only foreign, it is disgustingly selfish and detrimental to their learning and growing abilities...

It appears that the government is not choosing to learn many lessons from the current economic cycle, they continue to make a lot of the same mistakes they have been making for way too many years... but a lot of my family and friends, my loved ones and the people I think the most of... ARE doing a GREAT job at tightening belts and are actually having a good time learning to do with less and enjoying being a lot more creative with what they have, in the bargain... Personally... in my view that is, as I mentioned only ONE of the blessings of the current economic challenges we as a society face... a second advantage that is gained from this frugality is helping one another... I have seen some really fabulous giving and grateful receiving happening around me...

I have learned over the years of dealing with a debilitating disease that we really don't know how much we can do until we are asked to do it, and then are asked to do more, and more, to give even when we think we have nothing left or are stretched beyond what we thought we could manage... We find out who we really are when the biggest challenges come...

I am happy to say that I know a lot of really fine people that are making the most of their challenges, by happily accepting and growing in amazing ways...

No comments: