Monday, August 4

dear Abby, I am NOT...! Part 1...

A while back an acquaintance of mine asked me for some advice about marriage... so... not that I know what I am doing a lot of the time, but... I thought maybe I would take a stab at sharing some of those thoughts... Nevertheless, I make NO promises that my advise will help anyone needing, or NOT needing advise!

That said... I want to get serious for a minute...

Hubby and I have been married for nearly 25 years... some say that is a long time... To me it seems a moment... because we have something I would identify as very special... and I recognize that few couples have that...

But then I had a great example... when my parents passed away almost a year and a half ago they had been married for more than 71 years. Up until her death my daddy still appreciated holding momma's hand, and until her health took her memory of such things... she thought daddy a "handsome devil"... And quite honestly for daddy, momma I believe was an angel of light... she was "the star that he hitched his wagon to", and he never looked back.

During this year-plus since they passed away I have reflected on the things that momma and daddy did in order to keep their marriage young... vital... and thriving. I have started to note these things in my personal journal. It's not enough for me to come close to what they had... I want it ALL, and I want the forever package. I want the whole enchilada~~~! I think that the best way to achieve those goals is to write them down!!!

I decided a while ago to also try to identify in my journal some of the tools my parents used to achieve a happy marriage for the 71.5-SHORT years they shared together in the face of MANY MANY trials, even the trial of having one partner confined to a bed unable to eat on his own and one partner confined to a mind of confusion, unable to think on her own... They were still completely devoted to each other and somehow their love crossed even those difficult physical barriers.

So for those of you interested... watch for a few of my reflections on marriage down the road in this blog...

No comments: