Thursday, August 14

Say "Thank You"...

...and cultivate genuine gratitude.

It seems a small thing, but one of the things that my parents did a lot of (and so in turn taught us their children to do by example, although this lesson is a lifetime quest...) was acknowledging the efforts of others around them. They always thanked each other verbally for kindnesses and they thanked us as children when we completed assignments for them, or the family... This was more than just politeness though... they were completely appreciative of every effort and service. Even when I was very young, I remember hearing my dad thank my oldest brother for completing a chore that was part of his daily list... it wasn't every day... but the thank-yous happened often enough that I know it was a regular event... And I remember daddy and momma squeezing the other's hand at the dinner table pretty often when one of them would thank the other for something that was a necessity. Dad always made a fuss over a simple meal... Mom always thanked dad profusely when he carried the dirty laundry into the garage where the washing machine was... Because of that I believe they spent a lot of time trying to "outdo" one another... Dad would surprise mom by sweeping the floor before she could "get to it"... she would pack an extra goody in his lunches... daddy was always very thin and keeping weight on him was a chore at times mom used to say... but I think it was one of those little things she just loved having an excuse to do...

These small acts remind me of the scriptural references that we are given which encourage us to have gratitude for everything, and to do the small things that are necessary to have the spirit with us. The small things we are asked to do within a gospel setting are thought of as too simple by some people to be important (FHE, family prayers, etc...) and yet they are the things that keep the spirit alive within our homes.

By the same token, small things such as a genuine thank-you can go a long way to keeping marital "fences" in good repair, and once I start expressing gratitude, the act is contagious... it becomes a "desire" very quickly in fact... a good "desire". I believe from experience in my own marriage that these small acts of gratitude especially verbal thank-yous are like seeds that grow within us AND others... filling our marriages and families with "grateful roots" that form a foundation to rest on during good times... and "ground stability" for the more difficult times, which always come.

The next time you are feeling that things are not going as well as you would like in your marriage or family relationships... look at how often you say thank you to those around you and especially your spouse, if you have one... I'll just bet you are low on your "gratitude meter"...

At least in my own life that is always true.

No comments: