Monday, November 10

a movie review... kind of...

While we were traveling we saw the movie "Fireproof"... I really liked it... but more importantly I liked the idea of a "Love Dare" effort to show love to your spouse... BUT, I think this idea should be done even before your marriage is in trouble... Personally, I suspect that most of us should practice this idea on a rotating basis regularly... because all marriages certainly benefit from the practice of investing more into the relationship.

While I don't need to purchase a book to follow this plan... I did decide to make up a schedule of my own... complete with daily plans and scriptures that will help me focus on hubby and his needs... currently I am working on this week I will add to it and repeat them, after I get the 6 week base. I however decided to put my reminders into a "calendar" on my iGoogle so that every day I get the reminder first thing in the morning. Another minor change in my focus is that I am following a 6 week plan instead of 40 days (which is 5.7+ weeks)... I understand the 40 day idea, as in... "Christ's 40 day fast"... I recognize that missionary work in my ward and stake has also benefited from such a 40 day focus, and that biblical reference shows that there is a legitimate reason to use such a time frame... For most people 40 days is probably an ideal time... but for me "exactly 6 weeks" is key to successful changes in my life patterns, for some reason I need 42 days... I think some people's hard wiring may a bit different, or slower... and at least for me that is true...

So what ever works for you I say... do that... [OH... and if you have NOT seen this movie, see it... at least when it comes out on DVD... it is well done, positive and not nearly as preachy as I expected it to be... I give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5...]

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I have wondered about that "Fireproof" movie and I'm glad to hear from someone who has seen it.

You are right in saying that people wait until they are having trouble in their marriage before they consider the health of their marriage relationship.

I'm seeing that in lots of friends lately. It's sad.

And it seems like people are comfortable with bailing out rather than repairing relationships.