Sunday, January 25

feasting on the Sabbath...

This morning during my own personal study time I came across the following quote, I submit it here for consideration and remind myself to pay closer attention to this counsel.
"Closely related to our own obligation to repent is the generosity of letting others do the same...In this we participate in the very essence of the Atonement of Jesus Christ...We don't want God to remember our sins, so there is something fundamentally wrong in our relentlessly trying to remember others' sins...It is one of those ironies of godhood that in order to find peace, the offended as well as the offender must engage the principle of forgiveness."

--Jeffrey R. Holland, "The Peaceable Things of the Kingdom", Ensign, Nov. 1996, 82

3 comments:

talitha said...

That is powerful. I love the symetry of forgiveness...that to be forgiven, we must forgive.

This quote reminds me of one I heard from Stephen Covey: "Too often, we want mercy for ourselves and justice for everyone else."

Bonnie said...

Elder Holland's quote may find its way to my blog, Polly. We've got to get the word out to the grudge-holders of the world!

~pollyanna said...

Bee... Elder Holland is always so wise... well, all the brethren are... but so often Elder Holland speaks to me in just the way I need to hear it, right then...