Tuesday, March 3

choose to be optimistic...

I have become, over the last year, a faithful reader of Dr. Elia Gourgouris' column... I like his take on many issues... I like today's column better than most, even...

It's about choosing to be an optimist... [round of applause inserted here]

I know a little about this topic, because I have practiced this concept for some years... I choose to play "the glad game"... I choose to look at life through rose colored glasses, at least most days... I turn my back on seeing things in a negative light... mostly.

And before someone steps away slowly... seeing me as a silly dreamer, out of touch and perhaps a bit more than daffy... Let me say that I AM realistic... I do not ignore problems, but I choose to look at solutions and hope in the face of challenges... After the initial "WOW" I generally choose to look at the positive side...

As part of that optimism I accept that my Heavenly Father has given me, at times, a larger than average list of health challenges. I have come to the opinion that for whatever reason, these challenges are for my good... because I cannot see the end of my story it would be very easy for me to choose to see only the challenges and become angry and bitter... but it's really not what I face in life that is the important part, it is how I choose to face what is before me.

I invite all I know to join life in the optimist's camp... I also will share that I have discovered that being an optimist takes a lot less energy than being a pessimist. So join in... if only for your energy health.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I've been working on optimism a lot these past few months. I didn't realize how pessimistic I usually was until I realized that I honestly couldn't thank God for certain trials and problems. I believe being an optimist means seeing how things really affect you, and then asking God to help with them. God can't do much with me when I'm grumpy and pessimistic. Life is better as an optimist.