Sunday, March 8

feasting on the Sabbath...

This weekend was Stake Conference... I love SC... For years I have really appreciated the Saturday evening session that is for the adults best... usually I get the most out of this session, but that is possibly because I prepare for it...

I am learning through this exercise of "feasting on the Sabbath", I started at the beginning of the year, that when it comes to a LOT of experiences in life, many are made better by preparing for them... Not just anticipating, but actually preparing to focus on that experience and nothing else... Living in the moment as it were...

This SC was no different... I prepared for the experience and I can say that it was one of the best conferences I have ever attended... even though physically I was as uncomfortable, if not MORE uncomfortable trying to sit through it, as I ever have been... I was REALLY hurting, cause my pain meds wore off and I forgot to take any with me... but I couldn't leave... I was learning SO much, I experienced a feeling of thirst for the words being given that was really exciting... I gained some very important renewals into my own personal faith and spiritual needs in life... but I will just share one "woven concept" here:

True JOY comes from following council to be spiritually and temporally prepared within my own self... when I am properly doing what I can to fill my own well, and find joy and contentment with the life I have... I can love and care for others around me better... I know I can be doing a lot more... but I was also reminded that I don't need to do for other what they are able do for themselves, any more than others should do for me that which I can and should be doing for myself... This is a careful but joyful dance that we best perform through the spirit of Christlike charity and love... Those that follow council best are the best able to give of surplus joy which they will often own, because they HAVE internal contentment and peace. Also I was reminded that charity doesn't necessarily mean money... it often means giving of one's TIME and talents...

Some of these renewed ideas that I learned this weekend are related to a theme I had already latched on to for this month... and I find that really interesting.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Those are neat insights. I am trying to work more on being spiritually prepared and self-sufficient. It's given me renewed purpose in reading the scriptures, and I have enjoyed the effects.