Friday, March 6

10,000 steps...

Someday I WILL meet this goal... I am up to about 3000 a day, since the surgery... so I have a ways to go... Even before surgery, my elliptical machine and I had never found this magical Xanadu... I got pretty close last summer (just over 7400) before my health took another nose dive with the anemia issues, but we never actually found it...

In the last year I have lost some weight that I have been carrying around for years... I have started to concentrate on trying to follow the diabetic diet, to cut out foods that have little nutritional value, no matter how wonderful they taste (sometimes I still have a "taste", but I try not to wallow in these treats...) and I try to walk as much as possible... for me this means getting on the elliptical most days for at least a while... some days it's not very long, because hip pain becomes too overwhelming... but I still keep trying... and I keep looking at the goal...

Walk 10,000 steps a day...

Many doctors are saying that is a key point to lasting and healthy weight management... but that's not really the reason I started trying to reach this goal... I started trying to reach it because as long as I keep walking I won't be confined to a wheel chair... I may carry around a disability and need to use one for exhausting adventures, but mobility issues don't have to stop me dead in my walking tracks... at least not yet... walking is my tool to staying mostly mobile... I regularly lose ground that I have to regain... but so far I am NOT giving up!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Wow, that's a good goal to have. Dirk brought home a Wii, and playing it has made me realize just how out of shape I've gotten. I need to set some goals. Good for you!

Bonnie said...

Same here. I've got goals coming out my ears. I think I'll add this one too.