Friday, September 19

a family raised on rainbows...

Just before hubby and I got married I received a book from my matron of honor at my bridal shower. The title of the book was the same as the title of this post... it was full of creative, inexpensive ways to entertain, maintain, and just in general raise kids on a shoestring and have a lot of fun doing it. It was a positive, hands on approach to family fun and joy... the message was simply that you don't have to have money to be happy. I have gotten rid of a lot of books over the last 25 years... but that book is still on my shelf... I plan to pass it down... because it has a good message, and I used many of it's ideas while raising my children.

The last few days of financial news has reminded me about that message of hope. We all need rainbows I suppose... and just yesterday Hubby and I were discussing how... contrary to so many around us... we have an attitude of optimism, and we feel our children's futures look pretty bright...

Okay, yes... there will be some tough times ahead for them... everyone has hard times... but they are all hard workers and they will all do okay, they know and have positively used the principles taught them from childhood of: tithing and fast offerings, saving for what they want, knowing the difference between wants and needs, living on a budget and staying out of debt as much as is possible. They know how to stretch a dollar and they understand borrowing carefully for things like educations, a modest home and/or car... they will all be okay as long as they remember these things and live true to those principles.

Following the prophet's counsel to live modest and spend wisely is more than just a good idea, we believe it is the best way to live so that when uncertain times come (which they always do...) you can live free of the fear that many face because they just didn't listen to that wisdom... Hubby and I do not feel the fear that many do... we have planned and followed prophetic counsel for many years now. We have not been perfect, we have made many mistakes... but they have been less damaging to our family's security than some friends we have. Today for us is not much different from 25 years ago financially except that we are in better shape I suppose. I guess we will see, over the next few month and years how good a shape we are in... But we will still need to watch our expenses and we will still need to plan for that future... and we will continue to live as debt free as we can.

I guess what I am sharing here is that one of my greatest joys in these uncertain times is the contemplation that the future looks pretty bright for our kids... they are mostly-all headed in the right direction... we MUST have done something good... they all have hope for the future and they all will be fine if they keep doing what they have BEEN doing... follow the prophet, have faith, and stand for truth and righteousness. They are not perfect either... they will make mistake, they will fall down sometimes... but they will be able to get up, dust off, and get back on track easier by following the prophet. What a blessing that is...

There are rainbows ahead... that's really good to "know"...

2 comments:

Michael Larsen said...

Great post and heartily seconded. What a lot of people miss when we talk about the carnage of financial markets is the fact that, the following year, there is usually a strong rebound or recovery. Why gets to take advantage of those rebounds? Them's that has the cash. Puts a whole new meaning to the phrase "debt is dumb and cash is king" :)!

Judging from what I've read about you and your family, yes, y'all have done good. Keep at it :).

Bonnie said...

I love that, "A Family Raised on Rainbows." I think we managed pretty well while our sons were at home, but it's harder with them married and spread far and wide. The rainbow doesn't always reach as far as we'd like. ;) But we keep on trying to span the distance.