Friday, September 5

my brother's birthday...

Today is my brother's birthday... except he has moved through the veil that we call death, so he doesn't celebrate birthdays any more... It's now been more than 4.5 years since he left us behind... the time has gone surprisingly fast, but every once in a while like on his birthday I suddenly miss his way of making others care... his infectious laugh... and his bigger than life presence in our extended family...

He played Santa for years every Christmas, for all kinds of service organizations... before he was disabled by a massive brain aneurysm. He was with us for another 2+ years after that, but he never really recovered... I'll never forget the call telling us that is was critically ill... it was just before hubby's and my anniversary... he spent months in the hospital... then the next fall his youngest son, a twin, was killed in a motorcycle accident after a careless driver turned his van in front of him... He was wearing a helmet... he was on his way to pick up some extra hours at work, in order to help his mother pay the mountainous medical bills that his father had... Such a wonderful young man... He died within minutes... That was a new challenge for my sister in law that I hardly understood her strength to handle...

When BigBrother too was called home I watched Sissyinlaw manage the loss with faith and fortitude... never questioning the Lord's wisdom... all 5 ft nothing, 89 lbs of her... Where she pulled all that strength from I have no idea... But she spent more time comforting everyone else, than being comforted after both deaths... She is to this day an amazing and faithful woman.

I wanted to take a minute and share what a wonderful brother I have because I have faith I will hug him again... I miss him ... but I know that my loss is not as painful as his own family feels it on days like today... Neverthless, I think of him often and sometimes I still shed tears...

No comments: