Sunday, October 12

do you have any idea how silly you sound...???

Late yesterday evening I was reading some online articles and this thought [the title of my post]... kept running through my mind... Many of the things the writers are saying in completely legitimate news sources are just plan silly... not because of the topics... but because it seems that little thought is being put into the writing... it's like everyone is just writing now, thinking later...??? It's becomes this CACOPHONY of expression that has a minuscule effect... on me at least... I wander away from the "news" thinking... does he/she really think that? Do they realize how over the top silly that sounds? Are news people determine to just spout each other's journalism bias without even changing the thought a little?

Normally I like to read what a lot of different people are saying... and I find myself learning much... I often have an opinion... and hubby and I talk a lot about our thoughts and ideas... Many of the things I have read for the last 10 years on the internet have been good sources of "topics for discussion" between us... but lately good topics are getting hard to find... we both start laughing about the truly bizarre opinions we are reading, that are being touted as "news", and about all we can say are things like... Did I really read that??? What??? Seriously??? Are they kidding???

At least for me I guess it's fortunate that one of the most interesting things I have noticed is that I figure out pretty quickly that an article is going to make me feel this way early on, and I simply quit reading, thereby limiting the times that I get completely abused by this journalistic bias I see so much of... I wonder how many other people are doing that too? News has really changed...

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Something else I notice about the news is that some really dumb stuff gets reported on. Like one unusual thing happens, and it gets reported and everyone panics like it was normal and expected. And I'm thinking, "it made the news because things like that don't happen very often." I dunno. I don't like the chicken little news items.

Bonnie said...

Yep, it's become a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world, for sure. Was that enough mads? ;)

Megan said...

haha...your post reminded me of this comic

http://xkcd.com/481/

(I do not recommend this comic strip as a whole, just certain ones)

Check out the new audio preview feature on Youtube and I wonder if this feature wouldn't be useful for all of the news people to use before posting/broadcasting.

I agree with melinda too...the news is there to attract watchers/readers, not to provide actual facts. Because there are so many gay activists, it seems like the whole world is pro-gay, but in reality it's just those activists, and the general public continues to vote pro-traditional marriage.

I don't watch much news these days and just get what I listen to on the little 2 minute segments on the radio. It's one thing to be informed about local and worldly affairs, but I can't stand the propaganda.