Thursday, October 2

the inevitable "movin' on-day"...

I only got teary for a few minutes when the U-Haul truck Sir Knight was driving rolled off down the road towing their car. Princess Bride was following behind driving their pick-up. To my credit after hubby drove me home, I didn't collapse into a chair with my empty arms crossing my chest and hanging on to my own shoulders or sob uncontrollably like a crazy woman after they left... (unfortunately THAT description was a little like what I did when Princess went to China to teach English a couple years ago... The FIRST time she left home for an extended time... that first separation was a little traumatic for the momma in me...) This time I am just left with a grateful heart for decent and happy kids and a wish that the miles were more easily crossed, to visit them as the future months roll along...

As the last of the refrigerator items stored in a cooler were being loaded into the pick-up, the truth hit me pretty strongly that our princess is not our baby girl any more... and she hasn't been for a long time... she been so grown up and responsible for a while now... she has a husband, her own life, and he is her "immediate" family to think of... to do what is best for... It's what we raised her to do... to be confident and to be independent of us... And now, our Princess Bride is a Princess Wife and she and her Sir Knight are moving on to their next not-so-newlywed adventure... They are moving to life in a town without any "birth family" present for either of them. They both have extended family there, which is helpful and supportive... but it's not quite the same as having a mom/dad/sister/brother close by... is it? It wasn't for me, but most people, including myself... survive it just fine...

And another truth is that Princess is our world traveler... she has always gone and done "stuff"... she loves adventure, has loved to travel with friends... She has traveled with extended family and traveled alone... Don't get me wrong... our beautiful princess, the wife in this young family will be fine... more than fine... We have great love for, and faith in, her hubby... who is truly a knight extraordinaire... and they are excited and happy for the new challenges and happy days that will be ahead for them in this new place. They will thrive in their love for each other...

It's us... you know their parents that will miss them, even while we know they are are just a quick 5 hour trip away... Not that we saw them daily when they lived close to us... but the possibility was there... Personally, I think it is a wonderful blessing these days to have email, cell phones with free long distance... Plus having the church in their lives with a ward family to rap loving arms around you and to help you in times of need, and bless your lives with their experiences and love.

So I realize that this is not a time for tears... at least not for them... the tears were just for me... you know, the over protective mom that is still learning to "let go and let God"...

Added 7 pm: Truck got unloaded pretty quickly, settling in is next. Princess sent a text photo of the living room... All the utilities are included... so they are set to go, just need to put the frig stuff away tonight... They will return the truck tomorrow morning (a day early). Beyond the frig, tonight their only plan was to set up the bed and crash... She sounded good... very upbeat when I talked to her... and yeah... they are both exhausted, but so happy to have the worst behind them. the unpacking will be pretty easy, cause Princess only moved what they needed... she is not my pack rat...

No comments: