Friday, October 24

let go and let God...

This is an except from my journal ~ Nov 20th 2006; I looked it up, because I really needed the reminder today, almost 2 years later......

It was published in Son1's Mission Newsletter which his Mission President forwarded to all the families of currently serving missionaries as well... All those many months ago I wrote the following:

Since this may be one of our last newsletters... I just wanted to mention how much my heart was touched by this month's newsletter... Pres H talked about aligning our will with that of the Lord's... and included the following poem...

Let Go and Let God

Just as a child brings his broken
toys in tears for me to mend
I took my broken dreams to God
because He was my friend
I did not go and leave Him then in
peace to work alone
I hung around and tried to help in
ways that were my own.
At last I grabbed them back and
said, "how can you be so slow?"
My child He said, "what could I do
you never did let go!"

Anonymous

3 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks for that, Polly! I had completely forgotten about that poem! I think that is definitely one of my greatest weaknesses...letting go.

Melinda said...

I really like that poem and the idea behind it. Sometimes I worry that in the Church we teach too much self-reliance, to the point where we think we aren't supposed to let go. Like recently, a ward leader spoke about the brother of Jared's experience in building the barges. The B of J asked God about air and light. God told the brother of Jared to put a hole in the barges so they could breathe.

At this point, the leader made it sound like the B of J solved the problem of the light all by himself, and went on to say that God expects us to work out our own problems. He totally missed the point that the B of J's solution to the problem of the light was to ask God for a miracle! It isn't a story about spiritual self-reliance, it's a story about tremendous faith in God.

Anyway, that's my soapbox for the day. Thanks for sharing the poem.

Bonnie said...

My child He said, "what could I do
you never did let go!"

Hey, if God doesn't expect my active participation, He might as well not give me the problem in the first place. He says to take His yoke, carry our cross, bear one another's burden, endure to the end, etc. I think He "lets" us hang onto, grapple with, face, many things we'd rather have lifted from our shoulders.
(written by someone who's feeling somewhat overwhelmed)